In remembrance of Andrea Van Wyk (whom I miss dearly), I would like to play a game which she taught me in college. (I guess it isn't so much a game as just a conversation starter: you just go around stating something happy and something crappy.)
Crappy: I stopped by the place that I was planning to move into, since I thought the painting might be finished, it might be cleaned (since the old lady recruited her son and his wife to help), and that maybe I could start moving in today. I was greeted with: "Did you get the message?" "no." "oh. Maybe you should find another place."
I guess they've realized that this place was in a sorry state and have decided to take measures to make it sanitary. The measures mean that it will not be ready for some time, which means that I am out of a place. I gave back the key. It was disappointing, but at the same time I was unsure of whether or not I wanted to live there because of the mould. At best it was an easy decision.
I thought I might be homeless since I am supposed to be out of the house that I am living in by, well, now. Fortunately, Jane's house has many rooms, so we will just have to sacrifice the guest room so that the girl who was anxiously awaiting my departure can move in. I am okay here and will now look for a mould-free place to "hang my hat."
Happy: So far today there are blue skies and sunshine. This could be an end to the 27 day streak of rain that we were on. The record is 28. Almost unfortunate that we might not break the record, but I'm okay with it. North Vancouver is so water-saturated that a section of the city is ready to evacuate because of the potential for landslides. And sunshine is so nice.
Offers for London on vacation
12 years ago
6 comments:
Maybe the crappy is also a happy. Mould is not good to live in.
I've been working on purging my room at home of all unnecessary pieces of paper and clothing, and came upon a couple of pictures you took when we went to Chicago over Tri-State junior year. Ah the memories! (Never fear, they are not unnecessary pieces of paper--they will go in my "visual journal." (Is it nerdy that I have a visual journal?)
I hope it stays sunny for you!
Sara, my roommates and I would play the happy crappy game around the dinner table at Dordt. It is a wonderful conversation starter. :) And thank God for easy decisions at best!
Yes, although it was crappy, I was also relieved because I wasn't sure if I did want to live there, and so it was an easy decision...but the location was so ideal! thats the kicker. If I wo
Margaret, it is not nerdy that you have a visual journal. I have one already, which I am actually supposed to do for my studio art therapy class, but have neglected.
It's like I've always said: a homeless Sara is better than a dead moldy Sara. Actually I don't think I've ever said that, except for now and this is typing so, I technically didn't say it then. Best of luck house hunting. I hear right at dawn is a good time to catch one, because they’re still sluggish from their night parties.
Glad to hear the new turn of events. Mould is not a nice thing to have as a roommate.
Ahhh Sara. What a great game. And of course I do miss you very much as well. Margaret and I were discussing over Xmas break how we need to reunite, perhaps in Vancouver..?. .:)
I know it's crappy, but I'm so glad your lungs won't be infested with mold.
My crappy of today: Trying to word into 3 concise sentences on a report card for a few students how psycho and poorly behaved they are.. to their overprotective 'my precious boy is perfect' parents.. yet trying to be a bit positive. It sucks being the hardass teacher, but oh well. :)
My happy: Seeing the mountains rise in the distance, with the sun pouring through the clouds this a.m. on my way into work. I'm actually gonna move out into the sunshine now while I work.
lots of love,
Andrea
Post a Comment